Thursday, October 1, 2009

There's Always a Dark Side to Good Things

The trains in Japan are almost never late. In fact, they come into the station to the minute that the digital sign indicates. So, it's always really strange when it comes even a minute late. It was late today by at least 10 minutes - which in Washington D.C. is not so surprising but here it is.

Unfortunately, an infamous reason for delayed trains are people who jump in front of them to commit suicide. One of my friends speculated it and although I have heard of it several times, it left me feeling a bit sick and really upset. I eventually asked my friend if we could stop talking about it. I had to keep myself from crying. Some people may think it a little excessive to have such a reaction, especially since I had no idea whether that actually happened or not. But that doesn't matter - the idea of it is incredibly disturbing and it's depressing that suicide is such a "popular" thing in Japan. I don't know the statistics but they are high in this country. I'm just praying I won't ever have to see it happen.

*Sigh*

Besides that, I've been doing fine. I'm registered for all of my classes for this semester. I've tried going to some more classes that are taught in all Japanese but it just doesn't work. I apologize to the teacher and explain as much as I'd like to take the class, it's much too hard to understand. They're sympathetic and say it's alright.

On Saturday, I'm venturing to Roppongi for a hair appointment. It should be interesting I believe. It may not seem like such a big deal, but as a black person with different needs for my hair, it is sort of is one. I fail at explaining it to people, so sorry if my reasoning didn't sound so fantastic. I don't mean to sound vain or uptight, but I can't just go anywhere to have my hair taken care of - bad things happen.

And with that, it's time to eat dinner, watch Heroes....and then do homework. ^^

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh Talia. I'm sorry that you had such an awful morning with the trains :( I hope you never encounter a suicide either.

    But awesome sauce for registering for classes, right? The language barrier is going to be thick and at times, it will seem indestructible, but you'll be chipping away at it and in no time, you'll be speaking like a pro :D

    How's your pet spider doing? You know, the one that lives outside your apartment? Did you name it?

    Are you watching new episodes of Heroes, or your dvds? Some friends and I are watching the series Firefly, and it's really good!

    Have a marvelous weekend, you! And good luck with your hair appointment!


    ~Carrie-kins

    ReplyDelete

Followers