Monday, October 26, 2009

Electric Rodents and More Examples of Native Response to Foreigners

I have my costume. I thought it was just a jacket. Oh no, it's the whole thing, like a one piece thing - and it fits! I was awfully surprised since I am not Japanese-sized. Anyway, I tried it on yesterday. I look like a big yellow blob of ridiculous...ness. My friends said it was cute.

I was running down the hallway in it without my slippers and as I got to my door, I totally slipped and fell. It was equal parts tragic and hilarious. I was trying to get to my room really fast so no one else would see me. I just laid on the floor for a bit laughing at myself before I snuck into my room and took the thing off.

Another little side note:

Apparently, I make people's day by just existing. Cat and I were on the way to the super market and this young Japanese guy with his big sunglasses and his host club hair (aka big and spiky and going everywhere). This guy was riding in the passenger side of someone's car and had his head all the way out the window to stare at us. (They're getting more bold at this game.) Cat and I just sort of stared back but then she made a peace sign at the guy. I started to wave. The guy in the car started waving frantically at us like we were best friends, with his arm all the way out of the window. It's things like that that make me just love this country.

But unfortunately, not everyone is so happy to see us. Cat and I were riding the train and these two boys (probably 13 and 10 years old) got onto the train. There were two seats next to me. The older one sat in the seat one over from me. The younger one started punching him and telling the older one to move over...because apparently, he didn't want to sit next to me. Whomp whomp. The older one obliged and moved over next to me.

I feel like situations like this, it's better to just laugh about it. Getting too upset about it will just make me depressed and I can't afford to be depressed right now/ever.

And now I'm off to the great outdoors...where it's cold and wet. I remember when this kind of weather would make me want to skip class. The feelings are still there but I must fight them. *sigh*

1 comment:

  1. Awwww, you image thief! :P

    And I can't wait to see pictures of this pikachu costume... I forgot to get a costume for Halloween, and I don't have a car to go get one any more. Le sigh.

    -Travis

    ReplyDelete

Followers