Wednesday, July 7, 2010

~HANABI~

On a lighter note from my last post, the exchange students and our Japanese friends/tutors gathered by our favorite river for a picnic...on the Fourth of July! We had soccer, Frisbee, and FIREWORKS (please note the title of this post - this is what that means :) Just so you know)! Small fireworks are sold in convenience stores (and probably super markets too, just haven't been to one lately to see them) here. In Japan, summer means fireworks!

So, we got our own set of fireworks and we had a ball. It was quite a hilarious scene. Our American pride and enthusiasm was a bit over the top, complete with cheering and screaming, "AMERICA!" Our friends from various countries had fun with it too. One of my Korean friends jokingly wished me happy birthday. I'm sure they thought we were crazy at least once during our shenanigans. But we all like each other, so it's all good.

Oh! And here are more pictures! If you go to page three, the newer ones regarding Independence Day start there. (It just occurred to me that I didn't get to watch the movie "Independence Day" this year, like I always do because it's always on TV. Thanks Will Smith, for being part of my American traditions) http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2037709&id=1230390045&l=88436beb0c

Well, it's coming down to the end of my adventure here in Japanland. I can barely believe it. June just raced on by without looking back and July is here. Finishing up the semester here. So far on my plate I have:

* A take home test for Art History (thank goodness! It would be impossible for me to take this in-class. Translating the notes and then figuring it out the material within the context is a mentally exhausting and very time consuming. The more time to work, the better.)

* A paper for Heiwa o Kangaeru (I will always remember this class and grimace...)

* Several tests for Japanese classes. Just had one of them today. It wasn't too bad.

*I'm done with Creative Writing! I handed in two chapters (16 pages) of my...novella? Novelette? It's definitely not going to be long enough to be a novel (it has no title as of yet). Wrote and illustrated a children's book called "Meet Polly: The Girl with Bottomless Pockets."

*One more paper to write for Japanology. The class has gotten more interesting. We've been watching videos about manga, robots and food. Totally cool.

--

My goal is to have as much fun as HUMANLY POSSIBLE (within reason) this last month (and of course, do really well in school. I know you're reading this Mom). I don't want any regrets (although I already do regret not going to Kyoto when I could have during the spring break...) because I don't know when I'll be able to visit my Japan again. I know I'll miss it here the moment I'm back in America. But I love and miss you America. I can't wait to come home.

2 comments:

  1. omgomgomg did you smash a watermelon?!?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, no watermelons were harmed in the making of our fun.

    Plus, I think that's more of thing to do at the beach (based on reading Azumanga Daioh, lolol).

    ReplyDelete

Followers