Friday, June 11, 2010

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished...Just Kidding!

Another little fun anecdote from riding the train.

At some point while coming home with Elizabeth and our friend Devin, I noticed a young girl in a high school (I'd like to assume) uniform looking quite concerned. I heard her say, "Gomen nasai! Sumimasen! (I'm sorry! Excuse me!)" and I thought she was trying to walk past me in the semi-crowded train. But that wasn't what she was trying to do. The second time around, she said, "I'm sorry!" and started touching my back. I twisted my head around to notice she was removing a moth that had hitched a ride on me. Needless to say, I was very surprised and immediately said, "Arigatou gozaimasu! (Thank you very much!)" She then made a mad dash through a pretty thick crowd of people, to the train doors and released it. It was quite fortunate that we were at a stop at that time. When she returned, the ladies sitting in the seats in front of us thanked her with big smiles. I also thanked her again.

It was very sweet of her. It was quite funny too. She got to use her English today ;)

Something interesting always happens on the train. From seeing people in distracting and questionable fashion (daily...it's the best), seeing people pass out and watch how the person next to them deals with the fact that a stranger is using him/her as a pillow.

Anyway, some other nice things that happen when riding the train:

People will sometimes move seats for you to sit down. For example, say I was with a friend on the train and there were two seats available. However, there is a person sitting in between the two seats. While one of us sits, the person will notice the situation and slide over to the next seat, so we could sit together. One time a man moved across the aisle so that I could take his place sit next to my friend. People will get up for elderly people and mothers with young children. It always makes me smile when it happens.

I hope you enjoy my train adventures as much as I do. Or maybe at least a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers