Monday, May 3, 2010

Isn't it Nice to Know that We're Golden?

Speaking of golden, it's Golden Week here in Japan. Golden Week is a three-day holiday (technically, a five-day weekend considering Saturday and Sunday) in Japan because it has three holidays in a row. Constitution Memorial Day (today), Greenery Day (tomorrow - which apparently, is supposed to be in honor of the Emperor Showa's love for plants....), and Children's Day! Lucky me, it's a six-day weekend because I don't even have school on Thursday! :D

Unlike most people for Golden Week, I'm not going anywhere in particular. I'll look through my guidebook and see if there is anything close that I can go to for a day-trip sort of thing. So I can seem like I'm not wasting my holiday.

But recently, my friend Andra from UMD has come up from....I forgot where she lives, but it's between Osaka and Kyoto. Anyway! She came up to Tokyo with a couple of her friends and I've had the pleasure of hanging out with her again! We've had Japanese classes together since our freshmen year (not counting this year, obviously) so, we go back a few years (it's weird to think that, by the way). It's so awesome hanging out in Japan with her. Something we talked about with great anticipation in the past and now it's a reality! We've been having tons of fun lately, going out to eat, going to karaoke, enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells. Here are pictures of my most recent adventures in Japanland.

(The First Set of Spring Pictures)
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2033379&id=1230390045&l=1ef4d8c9bd

(Another Picnic by the River)
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2037411&id=1230390045&l=9a1c14765c

(Miscellaneous Fun)
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2037709&id=1230390045&l=88436beb0c

Unfortunately, now that it's spring, my allergies have been acting up. Especially now that the rain has decided to let up for a bit. Maybe that's why I hadn't felt like I was suffering before - all the rain washed it away. But this week is supposed to be without any water for the most part, so my nose, throat and head are feeling it the worst. I do have tons of Zyrtec, so fear not. Also, the Japanese custom of passing out tissues on the streets has been so beneficial. I've never been more grateful.

Oh. Another thing. I dropped my super cool cellphone into the toilet the other day; one of those darn Asian toilets. Incredibly lame. I was able to go to Softbank though and get a replacement while they try to fix mine. It's interesting because it's not as nice as my phone, but at the same time, it's little bit better. The one thing I'm thinking of is the "Relaxation Time" function. It just plays music and the the keypad lights up in a pattern. It's incredibly addicting to watch (not to mention cute and pretty). I put on the "Sleep" one last night before I went to bed and it put me to sleep instantly. A fun and not completely useless function - definitely a plus.

I'm going to miss it when I have to give it back to Softbank.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers