Saturday, March 13, 2010

Guess Who's Back? <- Have I Used That Line Before?

I've made a comprehensive list (not in order) of things I have missed/not missed about being in Japan upon returning from a brief visit to America for three weeks (which was WONDERFUL by the way. I was super jet-lagged the whole time, but in return, I'm not so jet-lagged in Japan. Woot!)

Anyway, to my lists:

Missed


1. The fashion - not all of it makes sense to me but it's so creative with layers upon layers, accessories, the variety of colors/patterns and what not.

2. Cute boys and pretty men - I'm human, don't judge me for this one!

3. Hearing Japanese around me - I enjoy it. I don't know why, but I just do.

4. Cute(r) babies - Now, I'm a sucker for babies of any race/ethnicity/whatever, but Japanese babies are just so cuuuuute! And their little voices in Japanese are so adorable!

5. Mascots - Japan has a mascot for everything and it's precious. Or scary.

6. Politeness - Everyone is so nice. I can feel it.

7. Vending Machines - Delicious juice, tea and coffee for only about $1.10 (rough estimate there) at any street corner, establishment, building, etc.

8.The ability to use my Japanese phone. I originally started documenting this list on my phone in its notepad. This phone is so much cooler than my American one.

9. Engrish - a usually funny attempt at using English. It's everywhere and it makes me smile.

10. The unreasonable amount of small dogs (leaving the airport, I saw a woman with SIX pomeranians...it was the strangest thing. They were all on leashes, but the woman wasn't holding on to any of them. They were just parading after her. I couldn't stop giggling.)

11. Commercials - once you see them, you know what I mean.

12. The use of the word "GET!" in advertisements.

13. ONIGIRI (rice balls, but triangle-shaped) - I had three of them for lunch the first full day I was back; one with salmon, the other with tuna & mayonaise and the last one with shrimp & mayonaise. These fillings are in the middle with dried seaweed on the outside. The Japanese equivalent to a sandwich I've heard people say. So scrumptious.

14. The ability to travel without the main dependence of a car.

15. Being able to walk around at night without a slight worry of being mugged or something along those lines.

Not Missed

1. Asian toilets - I've tried people, but I just can't get into squatting over a whole in the ground. Sorry.

2. The vans/trucks that blast music/announcements (that I don't understand) as they drive around the town/city - they either startle me, wake me up, or annoy me in general.

3. The lack of Mexian food in this country (I made several trips to Chiptole while I was home)

4. Suicide as a common cause for a delay in train schedule

5. My friends and family from home not being here. It was so relaxing to have them so close.

That's about all I can think of - as the days go by, I probably will come up with more for both things.

2 comments:

  1. Have you gotten used to the entire part where you have to carry around your own toilet paper yet? Gehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, actually, I don't have to - they have toilet paper everywhere I have been to actually. What they don't have in bathrooms sometimes is paper towels or hand dryers - that's a bummer, lol. You're supposed to have handkerchief for that purpose.

    ReplyDelete

Followers