Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Bring Out the Bear Bells!

This afternoon, the staff room was ringing with the sound of bells and the cacophony of everyone talking at once. The talking I can usually block out but the bells were a new element. I looked around trying to figure out what was going on.
The principal caught the lost look on my face and started laughing. In between chuckles he said, “Someone please explain them to Talia-sensei!” The English teacher laughed and told me, “It’s Christmas!” 
I started giggling and responded sarcastically with, “Really?” More laughter erupted. I guess they didn’t catch my tone(/Japanese sometimes doesn’t do sarcasm). My other co-worker said, “Jingle bells!” and then the two of us briefly broke into song. After that he just said, “No,” in English (hilarious at that moment, by the way) and continued to explain in Japanese that they were bells to scare away bears. Or at least, let the bear know you’re coming  - I’m pretty sure you don’t want to surprise a bear.
My thoughts? Oh boy! The bear bells! I remember one of my co-workers told me about the bears in the area when school started. I believe there was a sighting near my school last night.
Anyway, the co-worker that kindly informed me what the bells were for was looking through the box of them and noted that there were two extras. The principal, looked at me feigning seriousness, said, “Give them to Talia-sensei,” and burst out laughing again.
My principal is super cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers