Friday, September 2, 2011

'Sup September?


September 1st, 2011

Today is the first day of school. And it’s grossly hot again. And we’re playing the “No AC until the early afternoon game” game again this morning. Every time someone walks by is like a gift. A breeze from outside is a blessing. Otherwise, I fan myself for a bit to make me feel better and then have to stop because I haven’t figured out how to fan myself and type efficiently at the same time. I don’t understand how these people are drinking hot things. I’ll be diving into the communal tea very soon.

This morning, I handed out my omiyage. I gave the gift for the principal first, pulling out a phrase straight from my Japanese textbook for such occasions (“Tsumaranai mono desu ga…” which literally means, “This is a boring thing…”). He was impressed. I heard the infamous phrase to all people studying Japanese, “Nihongo ga jouzu desu ne!” (“Your Japanese is so good!”) but the way he said it made me smile. Everyone who opened their little packages with Maryland or D.C. related key chains were pleasantly surprised. Success! But let me take a moment to talk about “Nihongo ga jouzu desu ne!” This phrase is only infamous because very often, it doesn't seem sincere but rather, just a nice thing to say. There have been occasions where all I have said was “Thank you” and I receive that response (to their credit, they may have been talking about my pronunciation, not my “proficiency”). I read another ALT’s thoughts on the phrase, how often it is said by Japanese people and the ALT had another way of looking at it. In cases where not much is said, but much praise is given, it’s more like a “Wow, you’re trying and that’s awesome!” I think that’s what they said. I’m trying to find that article again and can’t find it. :/

Anyway, we just finished our opening ceremony. Now, I knew I’d have to do a self-introduction for everyone (again), but this time in front of the kids too. I knew this was happening for a couple weeks or so now. What amuses me is that today, about an hour before the ceremony, one of my co-workers informs me that I would have to do this. I wonder if this was a reminder or telling me like it was the first time I was hearing it. Either way, I had something memorized that neatly summarized my life, my hometown, my happiness to be in Japan again, and some nice remarks about working together.  The opening ceremony was held inside the gym, which looks really shiny and nice.  I saw all of my 44 students. Yup, 44 in the whole school. They sang the school song and several opening words were said. One of the students fainted. Some of my co-workers very discreetly and quickly got him on a stretcher and led him out of the gym. I hope he’ll be alright (I asked Ota-sensei later about it and the kid is fine.) I can’t tell whether my co-workers seemingly lack of surprise had to do with the fact that they were hiding it or this happens a lot. Maybe both? Anyway, the ceremony continued and I went on stage to introduce myself. I looked for a face that didn’t look so serious but I had no luck. Maybe they were too bored. Whatever, I went through my introduction without too much stalling and when I got back to Takamatsu-sensei, she told me I did beyond well.

The ceremony ended shortly after and then Takamatsu-sensei told me something interesting. Apparently, the children wear bells because there are bears up here. Bears!  We also have monkeys and wild boars. Well, that’s a surprise! But not really, considering where I am, but I never thought about it. I’m glad that somebody told me!  I told her that I wanted to see them and she insisted that she didn’t want to see them at all. I offered that I’d like to see them from faraway and she laughed. I think she said that’d be acceptable.

Now I’m back in the staff room where it’s impossibly muggy. And there’s not much communal tea left so I didn’t take any. Not to mention, I didn’t do my usual Family Mart run because I couldn’t remember exactly when the ceremony started (because I’m super smart and forgot to check before I left work the day before) so I wanted to get to school early. In case I haven’t informed you of this, I’ve been to Family Mart every day to grab something for lunch as I have been too tired to cook the night before so I could have food for lunch. Also, there’s no microwave at school so I have to think of food I wouldn’t mind eating at a lukewarm temperature. So, this last week I was the onigiri queen. Two salmon, one tuna mayo, and a drink of some sort like milk tea, Sokenbicha (not really sure what kind of tea it is, but I think it’s oddly delicious), juice, or water. Now, not only did I like the onigiri they sold at Family Mart better because they had soft nori (dried seaweed) but they have a section of Fullmetal Alchemist merchandise. First, there were the folders – which I have put to good use. Then there are little big-headed figurines and small drink glasses. So far, I have two figurines and one glass. It’s fun to collect this stuff and decorate my apartment.

Speaking of decorating, I wish I had a sense of direction. As much as I’d like to say that I’m artistic, I have no idea what I’m doing with my place.

In other unrelated news, I’m looking at this piece of paper that was given to me called the Lifestyle Check Sheet. From September 5th to the 11th, I have to document how long I’ve slept, when I woke up, what I ate or if I ate breakfast, when I have a bowel movement (morning or night are my only options), how long I watch TV, how long I play games and how long I take getting ready for the next day. I’m not entirely sure why they need to know all of this but I have to comply. I think I have to write down my goals as well.

September 2nd, 2011
Second day of school and all the kids are taking their subject tests. It was funny as I walked in, Tamura-sensei (the math and art teacher) asked one of the boys whether he studied and the boy said “Not really.” Hah! Such a typical response, right? I know that kids are basically the same all around the world but it amuses me when I see it highlighted in such an interaction.

Speaking of highlight, my highlight of the day may have already occurred. Takamatsu-sensei (who is the the Japanese teacher, if I haven’t mentioned that before) was going over some notebooks with kids’ writing assignments.  She got my attention to show me the entry of a first grader (junior high school has three grades, by the way. Sort of America’s equivalent to 7th, 8th, and 9th grade). One of the girls wrote that she wanted to become friends with me. I beamed. In the midst of all of those seemingly bored faces yesterday, one of my students already wants to be my friend. I almost squealed with happiness. That’s so cute. I hope we can be good friends. Another girl mentioned that since my self-introduction was in Japanese, it was easy to understand and she was happy about that. Yay! XD I'm glad it was comprehensible (don't worry, I didn't just wing it, I had Ota-sensei check it for me!)

And by the way, I thought I was safe from crazy weather in America, but we have a typhoon coming straight at us this weekend. >.>; Its name is Typhoon #12 (typhoons don't get nice names like Irene and Isabel...). There was one that already hit Tokyo and it's pretty flooded up there, as I've seen on TV. My plans for the weekend? Buy food this evening, curl up in my futon, and continue reading Pride and Prejudice with Zombies (is it bad that I've watched Bride and Prejudice and now reading what I just mentioned, but have never even read the real thing/watched the TV series/watched the movie?). If it is, I don't care. Because it's hilarious reading about these five girls try to find suitable lovers and in the mean time, fight with zombies. Classic.

1 comment:

  1. I just came across your blog, sounds like my wife and I are going through the same adventure as you. We are 1st years in Kumihama, about 5 minutes east of Toyooka. Its really nice to hear there are other JETs in the area.

    ReplyDelete

Followers