Saturday, November 14, 2009

What Happens in Eda...

Oh, another thing. I had my first earthquake. It was really only a matter of time.

At 4:00 AM or so, I woke up and sat up to find my bed vibrating underneath of me and heard this weird creaking sound. Of course, being awakened at that time, I'm incredibly confused. I thought I was dreaming. After it stopped, all I could think of was "that was an earthquake....!" or in Japanese, "jishin datta...!"

I went back to sleep.

I woke up a couple hours later trying to figure out whether I was dreaming or not. Either way, I was sort of excited. I've always wanted to experience an earthquake (a real one, the one at Universal Studios didn't count!) - I just wish I was more awake and less disoriented. I finally talked to some of my friends in the afternoon and they said they felt it too. So, it really happened!

Speaking of strange things happening in Eda, the other night I thought I heard a baby screaming and crying outside...at 11:00 at night. And then it got louder and creepier sounding. I anxiously alerted Elizabeth and while I was bringing her to my room, my friend Nikki came out of her room and asked if we could hear the noises too. We gathered in my room to listen to the variety of moans, wails, and general obnoxious sound-making. There was a knock on my door and it was Cat who came to inform us that the sounds were coming from two cats.

Having a very loud discussion across the street.

I've never heard such loud cats in my life. Sort of epic really. And once you got over how disturbing it sounded, it's hilarious.

1 comment:

  1. 1. I totally felt that earthquake too! I didn't sleep at all that night actually.

    2. The first time I came to Japan I heard cats. They really are everywhere, and they aren't very fixed while they're at it.

    ReplyDelete

Followers